HVTechFest-2020 will continue to build momentum
Mark your calendar for Hackathon Day - October 24th, 2020
Theme: Remote learning, remote working
To enhance HVTechFest'20 Hackathon we want to hear your proposals. We’re looking for collaborative team efforts that will inspire our community to use technology, data, and design for the public good. Deadlines to submit your ideas: April 12th.
How you can get involved
Have thoughts about which priority actions we should pursue, and want to be part of this co-creation process? Email us your answers for the survey below; Join us at a conference call on March 27, 4pm to help us narrow our options for these priority action areas.
- What focus areas would you like to see community collaboration around?
- Where do you see yourself contributing to develop HVTechFest resources around?
- If you could give us a piece of advice for supporting the community, what would it be?
AT&T Youth Hackathon 2019
was held 10/12/2019 at the Mount Saint Mary College, Newburgh NY
Thank you everyone for joining the inaugural AT&T Hudson Valley Youth Hackathon!
It was exciting to see 100+ professionals working side by side with youth, and competing equally. We appreciate our partner, AT&T, who lobbied with vigor to have kids involved more than we initially envisioned - it was amazingly inspirational and a learning experience for all! We discovered that our high schoolers are way more tech savvy than previous generations. They are thoughtful, engaged and capable. The startup bug bit them at the Hackathon - we can expect more tech entrepreneurs coming... Let's cultivate this spirit!
The Hackathon revealed how the youth are driven to solve Hudson Valley employability and professional sustainability challenges. We were excited to see that we are all aligned in our dream of making the Hudson Valley a better place to live and work, and leveraging technology as a practical tool for this rising tide!
120 people participated at the Hackathon - volunteering, brainstorming, researching, creating, designing, coding. We appreciate our volunteers from DocuWare, Technically Creative and IBM, they were inspired and moved working with our amazing teams. We are happy to report some participants got job offers right after the Hackathon!
Thanks yo our sponsors - we got great prizes, swags, food and t-shirts for all participants!
Eight amazing teams presented their projects, and we are happy to announce the winners:
- 1st place - Israel Pagan and Kevin Leto from Newburgh Free Academy, PTECH. Project: research on Public Transportation challenge for Newburgh, NY.
- 2nd place - Michael Coney, Mahassin Poree-EL. Jordan Christie, Luke Greave, Brandon Weygant. Project: EngineerU.
- 3rd place - Anthony Grice, Morgan Stroud, Zachary Sheehan (Newburgh Free Academy, PTECH), Jazmin Pyle (Newburgh Girls Code Club). Project: fighting pollution in the Hudson Valley, NY.
- Special prize from 1Ci - Cheryl Schneider, Dominick Piaquadio, Ricky Lau, Steven Cina, Rahul Joseph. Project: TechDojo, matching developers with learning resources.
The 2019 hackathon was a 7-hour brainstorming and idea-development competition to solve critical regional issues such as:
Do you have an idea? Educators, students, designers, developers, social workers, business specialists, and anyone else interested in developing solutions are encouraged to join us for this fantastic event!
|8:30am||Doors open, Coffee|
|9:00-9:30 am||Opening Ceremony: Dr. Jason N. Adsit, Mount Saint Mary College President, HVTechFest leaders|
|10:30-11:30am||Pitchfest (60 sec/Pitch) & Team Development|
|11:30-3:30||‘Building Time’. Over a few short hours, your team based hard work will be validated by available mentors to help prepare you to pitch your “hack” to our panel of judges.|
|12:00||Lunch - Enjoy lunch with fellow Festival participants. Lunch sponsor - MidHudson Federal Credit Union|
|11:00-3:00||Consultations with Mentors|
|12:30-2:00||Coding Classes with VidCode founder Leandra Tejedor|
|10:00-2:00||Capture the Flag - Joe Cupano - out of the Hackathon flow|
|3:30||Submit your project! Demo Intro, Welcome Judges|
|4:00-5:00||Presentations, Judging & Celebration|